Focus Mode for Video on RX100 Series

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
d altman Regular Member • Posts: 461
Focus Mode for Video on RX100 Series

I had an RX100 VI and had trouble videoing band and color guard performances using continuous focus. Sometimes in the middle of filming the camera would start hunting for focus and it would create a bad effect that kind of ruined the footage.

I bought an RX0 II and it had a feature for video called "(Preset Focus):The focus is locked so that a satisfying resolution can be achieved in a wide front-to-back range. You can shoot movies without additional focusing operations. When the camera and the subject are close, use the NEAR mode. This focus mode is available only during movie shooting." The RX0 II also has a Single-shot AF where a half press of the shutter will lock focus. Using the Preset Focus worked real well.

Now I have the RX100 VII. I seem to only have the option of either Continuous focus (which won't work for my above scenario) and Manual focus. Single-shot AF doesn't seem to be available with any exposure settings. And the Preset Focus isn't on this camera. I used to only shoot video in manual focus mode years ago, so I am familiar with it. But, are the only focus modes available on the RX100 for video Continuous or Manual?

Thanks

d altman's gear list:d altman's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VII Sony a9 Sony a6400 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +7 more
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VI Sony RX100 VII
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow