New Mac setup questions...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 7,754
New Mac setup questions...

I finally broke down and decided to upgrade my 2010 15" MBP (8gb ram and 1TB SSD). I just purchased a 2019 refurb 21" iMac, 3.0GHz 6 core, 1TB SSD, and 560X 4GB graphics card.

I am not very computer literate and am getting ready to set it up and want to do this right the first time. None of my ports on my MBP are compatible with iMac but I do have everything backed up - TM backup, and CCC Cloned hard drive backups. I just purchased an external OWC drive dock from BH Photo. So I can place my TM or Cloned drive in the dock and hook that directly to my new iMac.

Question: What do you recommend is the best way to get started. I am assuming it is to place a TM backup drive into the dock and hope the iMac knows how to handle that with the Migration assistant. Or is it better to attach the cloned drive to the iMac and and use the Migration Assistant to get set up. I am guessing TM is the way to go but I figured it best to ask first.

Also, I plan on partitioning the SSD on the iMac, as I did with my MBP, and use that partition to store all my photo files - I am old school and all my photos are on folders in a partitioned drive.

When all is finished I plan on removing the 1TB SSD from my MBP and using that as a SSD backup, all my other drives are 3.5" spin drives, plus a 2.5" WD 750GB 7200 rpm  which I would like to put in my MBP and possibly sell off.

Any suggested do's, don't or advice is very welcome

Thanks in advance

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow