((( The Last, Great Nikon F-Mount "Holy Trinity" )))

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
John Koerner
John Koerner Regular Member • Posts: 153
((( The Last, Great Nikon F-Mount "Holy Trinity" )))

Like many, I believe the F-Mount is coming to a halt sooner, rather than later.
Like many, I will be sad to see it go, yet anxious to see what the future holds ...

This is not to say F mount products will disappear overnight. Speaking for myself, I intend to use my existing Nikon F-Mount products until they (or I) expire. They do absolutely everything I want them to, within their respective niches.

Some people believe "The Holy Trinity" designation corresponds only to lenses.

For example, the Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G, the 24-70mm f/2.8E FL ED, and the 70mm-200mm f/2.8E FL ED comprise what many people believe form "The Holy Trinity" for Nikon ...

Others believe "The Holy Trinity" would be better represented by the 105mm f/1.4E, the 58mm f/1.4D, and the 28mm f/1.4E lens lens trio ...

Myself? I believe it is actually the Nikon D5, the Nikon D850, and the Nikon D500 *cameras* which comprise the last greatest "Holy Trinity" within the Nikon F mount system.

My reasoning is each unit defines excellence, over all other brands, within each's respective positioning. From high ISO performance, to base ISO performance, to DX performance, each Nikon model listed above remains peerless among its contemporary competitors—even many years after each's release.

I realize other companies are coming out with new items. I also realize Nikon is coming out with their own D6, they may (or may not) produce a D850 replacement. There might also possibly be a D500 replacement. But none of this is the point.

The point of this post is, today, within the current world of DSLRs, every single high-end Nikon camera mentioned defines market excellence in each's respective and particular category, and they were all contemporaneous.

Of course, time will always move on, new models and new breakthroughs will always come into play ... but I think history will look back and unanimously agree that the Nikon's D5, D850, and D500 were The Last, Great Holy Trinity, not just for 'Nikon' DSLRs, but for all DSLRs.

John Koerner's gear list:John Koerner's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +19 more
Nikon D5 Nikon D500 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow