Just bought a G80M + 16-60 kit, first impressions (G85 in USA)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MrTaikitso
MrTaikitso Contributing Member • Posts: 882
Just bought a G80M + 16-60 kit, first impressions (G85 in USA)

Late to the G80 game I know, but for work, needed a camera with a viewfinder and tack sharp video, but cannot afford a GH5 and we don't really need all it's capabilities. So bought the G80 kit from Jessops. My prev Panasonics have been the GH2, GX8 and LX-100 Mk1, each superb in their own way. (GX8 prob best ergonomics ever thanks to the flip up viewfinder that made street photography and capturing difficult angles way easier, no idea why they never maintained the functionality with the more recent models in that form factor. Only flaw with the GX8 was the shutter shock.

For the price (£598), the G80 IQ and functionality is superb. Just taken some stills and 4K video at 24fps down by the sea near my home and although I forgot to switch to RAW save, the images are clean on my 24" 4K monitor and the colours natural, as one expects from Panasonic.

My only niggle is that the buttons on the rear are do not protrude enough so it is difficult to feel your away around them blind, such as to navigate the menu or hit the Delete button. They need to be slightly grippy and stick out more. I think the GH5 sorts this issue from what I recall when trying one a while back.

Anyway, great value for money if you don't need GH or S series (L mount) quality, even years after launch.

I would post a sample picture, but they are private.

MrTaikitso's gear list:MrTaikitso's gear list
Panasonic LX100 +1 more
Panasonic G85 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow