Looking for the compact superzoom unicorn!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dustoff74 New Member • Posts: 6
Looking for the compact superzoom unicorn!

Hi fellow camera freaks!

I’m looking for something very specific. A camera that does what my DSLR with my 150-600 does but in a size that would fit into my jeans pocket! Sadly I‘m aware of the fact that physics are still standing in the way of achieving this goal. But I would accept a compromise, being a nice guy!

The main, if not only, purpose of the cam would be to snap pictures of airplanes from another airplane! Following flight regulations that means at least 1000ft/300m distance so it has to have some reach. The upside, light usually isn’t an issue.

The reason I’m not using my DSLR is that it’s a real hassle to bring that thing. I need something small that lives in my small flightkit all the time, so when the opportunity arises I can just grab it and snap a few  pictures.

Right now I’m using a Sony DSC-HX50V but I’m not happy with the results and the usability.

There is always a lot of noise and grain in my pictures and the lack of a viewfinder makes tracking planes at max zoom pretty hard. And it doesn’t shoot RAW, a format I came to really appreciate. I post-process everything so shooting JPG doesn’t make much sense for me.

Since my cam is not exactly the latest model I was thinking that maybe there should be something better in the market today?

Would it make sense to trade the superzoom for a 1“ sensor and crop to improve image quality?

Looking forward to read your thoughts and ideas!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow