Disappointed, terrible flicker problem on A9!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
iMacDaddyTony Junior Member • Posts: 38
Disappointed, terrible flicker problem on A9!

I shoot sports, high school to Div.1 collegiate and was hoping to have improved AF, better low light performance and higher FPS.

Recently I opted for the SONY A9 over the Canon EOS 1DX Mark II, up until tonight I was pretty happy with the purchase albiet only  shooting wildlife and some day time sporting events.

Tonight was the first I was able to test the A9 shooting a local high school soccer game, the game started at 7:30pm and I was fairly happy until the dreaded flicker attacked when light disappeared.

I have not been able to find a anti-flicker setting even though I was told the camera had anti-flicker like my Canon 7D Mark II's.

Sadly a SONY representative and several associates at the camera store assured me it had anti-flicker.

The only thing I can find is turning off the electronic front curtain shutter for banding, it appears you must be in the mechanical shutter mode.

I will try this tomorrow night, time permitting, hopefully it will help, from what I have read this will reduce shooting to 5 FPS.

If SONY wants the A9 to be the ultimate sports camera, SONY needs to develop a fix for flicker while still maintaining the higher FPS speed.

With all of that being said I am hoping I have some incorrect setting, if anyone has had the same experience and found a remedy please share.

Thanks,

Tony

iMacDaddyTony's gear list:iMacDaddyTony's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony a9 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +8 more
Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow