Ebay strategies?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 2,832
Re: LAST 10-15 "seconds" !!!

CMCM wrote:

PhotoTeach2 wrote:

CMCM wrote:

I've never bought from eBay before, but I've been looking at lenses. I've noticed a lot of items where bidding started ridiculously low, one lens was 2.99 or some such, and bidding took it way up to over $300. People were bidding up in small increments and then at the end the winning bid popped it up by nearly $100. Also, it seemed to me that most things I looked at had automatic bidding going on, and with that, I guess the eBay automatic bid process can swoop in with the winning bid mere seconds after you put in your bid, which would seem to win at that point. It all seems to be a guessing game, where you have to know the max you are willing to spend and hope no automatic bid will out-do you in the final seconds. I find it rather frustrating in the end, I don't like it, and now I mostly look to a "Buy Now" price I think is good and which doesn't involve playing the bidding game. I'll add that setting a low price and letting the bids run appears to be great for the seller, perhaps not so much for the buyer.

I love E-Bay ...

But I NEVER bid until the "last-10-15" seconds, (to late for anyone else to respond).

And, as you indicate, at that time I will put in the "max" I am willing to pay.

I will either get it for "$1" more than someone else's (prior) highest-bid they were willing to pay -- or they get it for $1 more than mine if their "highest" was above mine.

I've read that you bid the last 3 or 4 seconds. Just barely enough that you can get the bid in. Haven't tried this, though.

Yes, this is the way to do it if you really want an item.

There are two ways: one is to steel your nerve, watch the seconds counting down and pounce in those final seconds (taking into account any delays due to slow internet or the fact that the system asks you to confirm the bid). The other is to use a "bid sniper" app. There's a few of them for mobile devices and PCs.

Basically, you go into the app, log into your ebay account and find the item you are interested in (having it already on a watch list in ebay is easiest). You then set the maximum amount you want it to bid and the time (ie, 10 seconds before the end, 5 seconds, 3 seconds). You then leave it alone. At the designated time, the app will place the bid for you. If bidding is already over your maximum, your bid is just rejected. If it is under, your bid goes in at the next increment above the current highest bid (that might be $1, $5 - the increments change with the price). There is still a small chance someone else may get in - if you have yours set for 5 seconds and they have 3 seconds and their maximum is over yours. But I have used this approach quite a lot and it works well - particularly if the auction is ending at a time when you can't be around to manually place the bid. It also saves you from any temptation to get caught up in the excitement of last minute bidding and go over your maximum bid level.

And that is the trick with this strategy - make sure you set the maximum amount you are willing to pay and be prepared to pay that if that's where the bidding goes. Often you will get items below your maximum. But set the maximum, be prepared to pay it and don't be disappointed if you are still outbid - you will only be outbid by someone paying more than you decided you were prepared to pay.

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S1 Pro Nikon D50 Canon EOS 500D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow