Understanding Wide Angle Lenses

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
halfthefiber New Member • Posts: 1
Understanding Wide Angle Lenses

Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone can help me understand wide-angle lenses and regular lenses—I'm an absolute newbie with photography beyond point-and-shoot and what my iPhone takes.

I was gifted an Olympus OMD E-M10 II camera with an M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 pancake lens. My uncle (the gifter) told me that this isn't the kit lens because he only bought the body. I looked at what a kit lens is and found one that has the same specs as what I have, except it's not pancake.

He offered another lens to me, the Sigma 19mm f/2.8 DN. The page I linked says that it's a wide-angle lens, which I thought might come in handy if I'm shooting landscapes or maybe doing selfies (so that it's not just my face in the photograph), but when I took test photos of both lenses using the camera's LCD, the pancake lens seemed to take in more to the left and the right compared to the Sigma.

I was under the impression that the latter should have been wider than the former, because of the whole wide-angle bit. (The Sigma even has a more visually concave glass than the pancake.) Am I wrong? Should I buy the Sigma from him or is it going to be redundant?

Or is there a function in the camera that isn't on that I should, if I am to shoot wide-angle?

Thanks for all your help!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN | A
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow