SSD On or Off Overnight?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ChuckL22 Junior Member • Posts: 41
SSD On or Off Overnight?

Since I received so many informative responses to my question on SSD Over-provisioning, I thought I would ask this knowledgeable group another question regarding the health and use of an SSD.

Over the years there have been many discussions on this forum and others about whether it was better for the health of the computer and the hard drive (not including electricity use) to turn the computer off over night or just leave it running. I’m not sure if there was ever a definitive consensus regarding this question but, I’m wondering if the answer to this question is different for SSDs than it was for spinning hard drives?

The little drive activity light on the front of my computer seems to show activity when I’m not doing anything. If I check the Resource Monitor via the Performance tab of the Task Manager, there is always some write activity on my SSD C-drive. Of course, some of this is due to the Performance Monitor, but I wonder if shutting down the computer overnight would cut down on the total number of bytes written over time to the SSD?

Chas

ChuckL22's gear list:ChuckL22's gear list
Nikon D7500
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow