Help understanding photoshop layer so I can do on my own for my pictures? TIF included

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Brian D3300 Senior Member • Posts: 1,935
Re: Help understanding photoshop layer so I can do on my own for my pictures? TIF included

JT26 wrote:

Hi Brian,

Unfortunately theres no 'one size fits all' solution for this. I advise you to have a look at masking techniques on youtube and learn them.

This image posted above, isnt actually a great example of layers, much of the alterations are not editable and reversible. i.e. adjusting colours should be done with adjustment layers not just on the layer itself... defeats the object.

In terms of background. As there is only a blur layer added, there isnt as much of a need for an ultra precise mask... So this one is probably best done manually with quick mask too, refinement and some feathering at the end...

But, look on youtube as there are a tonne of ways to get the desired mask and its up to you to select the best one for each situation.

Hi JT26,

Thank you.   All I really care about is understanding how to go from the before to after on the background.  Is it a specific blur selection that I then choose slide the pixel radius?   I have tried Gaussian and it does not seem to be that one.   Maybe it is not as simple as that.   I will tkae a look on youtube.

The masking I am not that concerned with.

Brian D3300's gear list:Brian D3300's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow