Lizards, Gator, Turtle, Birds & BIFs (100-400GM, Tamron 150-600)

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 31,578
Lizards, Gator, Turtle, Birds & BIFs (100-400GM, Tamron 150-600)

Keeping up and keeping on...this thread finally gets us into June's wildlife shooting - and wraps up a few from Memorial Day as well.  I'm tossing in a few shots I took on May 27th, which was Memorial Day which was a rare Monday off of work for me...then the following weekend on June 1, all at the local two wetlands, Wakodahatchee and Green Cay.

As usual, most shots taken with the A6300 and FE100-400mm GM lens combo...but there are a few shots at the end of the thread that were taken with the Tamron 150-600mm lens via LA-EA3 adapter.  To explain why I was moonlighting on the beloved 100-400mm lens...A fellow shooter, Rgwaller1, wanted to test the lens on his A9 to see how the adapter and lens work, and I don't use mine too much any more.  So I brought the lens along, letting him use it for a few rounds of the wetlands, then decided to give it a go on my A6300 just because I hadn't used it in so long.  I will note in the description when the Tamron was used.

All shots posted at 1400 pixels on the long side if you click the originals:

My last post had roseate spoonbills, so why not one here too?!  This one was standing up in a tree rather than in the water, letting his pink colors stand out against the blue sky

A juvenile green heron, still covered in peach fuzz, with his colors coming in underneath

A basilisk lizard hanging out on the side of a cypress pine

A female anhinga drying her wings out on the rail of the boardwalk, right next to the main nature center building.  This spot has dozens of people walking by, and she didn't move or care...get too close, and you just get a few croaks of displeasure from her

A Florida softshell turtle sneaking by underwater where he can't be seen.  Oh, wait...the waters were a bit clear this day, so he wasn't quite as stealthy as he might have wished!

A cute juvenile green iguana, always such vivid bright greens when they're young...this one was working his way up a tree for a nice high perch to look around

Another day, another spoonbill in a tree.  This one was doing some wing-stretch exercises, from that long hard day of sitting on top of a tree branch

This great egret scored himself a nice, colorful fish lunch, and was trying to walk away into the reeds to hide from me while he ate it...in case I was going to try to steal his meal

A male red-winged blackbird, coming out to the end of a cypress branch to give me an eye, and make sure I'm not going to threaten his mate on a nearby nest

A pensive gator, reflecting on life and love...or just reflecting himself in the sky mirrored water!

Now for some of the shots with the Tamron:

A wet and recently bathed wood stork...all of the woodies were taking dips down in the water and washing themselves off - as they had finally wrapped nesting season, all the youngsters had grown and could fly on their own...many of these birds hadn't really taken time for themselves in months (Tamron)

A shiny black male anhinga sitting proudly atop a tree island (Tamron)

A wood stork standing up on the tree island as well...with a bit of an Alfalfa-hair-thing going on with his feathers (Tamron)

One of the big woodies flying around in the blue sky (Tamron)

A black-bellied whistling duck flying quickly my way against the green backdrop (Tamron)

Comments, questions, and critique welcomed as always!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony a6300 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow