Choosing sensor format: Full Frame and m4/3

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Danny O Junior Member • Posts: 31
Choosing sensor format: Full Frame and m4/3

First post in DPReview forum, hello everybody.

I own a Panasonic Lumix LX100 and I love this camera. I forgive his relatively low resolution and his short zoom, but I am a little unsatisfied from his ISO performance.
Nothing bad at all, but I like to shot in low ligth and this is a well know m4/3 sensor limit. I fix his limit at 1600 ISO*.

So, I am thinking of buy a full frame camera (Sony A7R III) but there are some issues: High budget required and big dimensions and costs expecially for the lenses.

My trade-off would be a Sony A7R III with Zeiss 24-70 F/4 zoom.
In the other hand I am considering an Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II with 12-40 F/2.8 Pro and, for low light shots, a Panasonic Summilux 12 F1.4 fixed lens. For me the Olympus sensor limit would be 3200 ISO*. Sony can go up to 12800 ISO*.

I can buy both two system with almost the same budget.

My idea is to compensate the low ISO performance from a m4/3 sensor with a brightest lens (knowing the limit given by a fixed lens and a smaller resolution)

What do you think?

Thank you in advance.

* this is my thought looking at the DPRewiew's image compare tool and excluding the features given by LR / DxO / Capture One / etc. I prefer not consider this tools in this evaluation (I use LR 6.14)

Danny O's gear list:Danny O's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic LX100 Sony a7R Sony a7R III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow