Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Chaplain Mark
OP Chaplain Mark Senior Member • Posts: 5,388
Re: Questions About Sensor Size and Pixel Pitch

sybersitizen wrote:

Chaplain Mark wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

Chaplain Mark wrote:

My question was, does a larger sensor size automatically mean a smaller pixel pitch?

The answer is no. A larger sensor might have larger pixels, or smaller pixels, or the same size pixels as a smaller sensor. Depends on the specific sensors.

Okay then, the two sensors to compare are, Sony a7Riii full-frame 43mp and Canon G5X and G3X 20 mp 1-inch type, (sensor built by Sony?)

Do we know if the FF sensor is more pixel-dense than the 11-inch type?

It's just simple math using specs found online.

The specs I found say the A7RIII sensor is 35.9mm x 24mm with a pixel count of 7952 x 5304, and the GX5 sensor is 13.2mm x 8.8mm with a pixel count of 5472 x 3648.

You only need to look at one dimension to get the approximate pixel pitch. Using the long dimension:

35.9 / 7952 = roughly 0.00451mm per pixel. 13.2 / 5472 = roughly 0.00241mm per pixel.

The pixel pitch of the GX5 is much smaller.

If you're curious about a small sensor with comparatively huge pixels, the Sony DSC-D770 (my first digital camera, introduced 20 years ago) has one. Its sensor is 6.4mm x 4.8mm with a pixel count of 1344 x 1024.

6.4 / 1344 = roughly 0.00476mm per pixel ... a tad larger than those in the A7RIII.

Lol @ "simple math"......no such thing for me, I'm afraid....

Proceeding from your answer (thank you for that,) it seems the physical size of pixels in the G5X is larger and therefore the sensor in the G5X is less pixel dense per square unit of surface area.

Yet, such a huge increase in detail captured per shot in the Sony FF camera.

Would it be true then, that the primary reason for such an increase in image detail would be the larger surface area of the FF sensor under the image circle projected by the camera's lens, compared to the surface area of the smaller 1-Inch type sensor?

This seems to suggest that detail capture (resolution) is more about sensor size than pixel density?

-- hide signature --

Thank You,
Chaplain Mark
-----
'Tis better to have a camera and not need one than to need a camera and not have one.
--------------
In pursuit of photographic excellence.

Chaplain Mark's gear list:Chaplain Mark's gear list
Canon G3 X Canon PowerShot G5 X Sony a7R III +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow