Best upgrade for better focus

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dansmith21 New Member • Posts: 3
Best upgrade for better focus

I have years of experience with entry-level Nikon DSLRs for personal photos (family, travel, etc.; often indoors and candid). Right now I'm using a D5100 with kit lenses (18-55mm F/3.5-5.6G VR, 55-200mm F/4-5.6G VR II, plus a 50mm F/1.8G). I'm pretty comfortable using most manual settings on my camera. I shoot in RAW and post-process in Lightroom.

I've decided recently to try to improve the quality of my photography, and at the top of the list is improving focus. I'm often frustrated (mainly in indoor or action settings) by how many of my shots are okay, but not great, because they're slightly out of focus. Every once in awhile the stars align and I get a nice and sharp shot, but I wish these were more frequent.

My question: what should I do to try to improve the situation?

1) Upgrade the camera body. Maybe the D5600 or a higher-end model will do faster/smarter processing, or will get better results due to more focus points?

2) Upgrade the lenses. Maybe higher-end lenses have faster motors? Maybe a wider max aperture will help? (Although I tend to shoot in S mode and let the ISO auto-adjust.)

3) Don't worry about the equipment, just work harder at carefully choosing auto-focus modes and other settings to get the best quality shots.

4) Don't worry about the equipment, embrace brute force: shoot in burst mode, take a lot more shots, and throw away all the junk.

ANSWER:
Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow