Looking for a telescope

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
Lyle Aldridge Senior Member • Posts: 1,101
Re: Looking for a telescope

MA_Edward wrote:

I think I will be going for the carbon fibre version, as you said, the focus shift. It's gonna be a little annoying to focus if there is no bright star around the dso I image. I know it happens on my tele lens too.

And with the collimation I'll get some assistance from youtube maybe, or instructions, I'll see. If somehow I can't figure it out, I'll return with a question here=))

Oh and I've seen Mario's photos. He really got loads of them that look epic.

I'm mostly a Newtonian user, and IMO, while precise collimation is important, its difficulty is grossly exaggerated. It does not require any special tools. All it actually requires is an eyepiece that will give you magnification in the 150X range or higher. Laser collimators are often mentioned, but they're actually likely to hide mis-collimation when used with Newts. A Cheshire "eyepiece" is useful, but you can make your own from a 35mm film canister, or buy a commercially made one for less that $15, and even it isn't an actual necessity.

Gary Seronik has some excellent collimation articles on his website, including  "No Tools Collimation." Other recommended reading on his site:

https://garyseronik.com/a-beginners-guide-to-collimation/

https://garyseronik.com/collimation-tools-what-you-need-what-you-dont/

One other suggestion for consideration: a Schmidt-Newtonian. Someone mentioned his in one of the posts above, and I assume the only reason he didn't expressly recommend one is that they're generally only available used. Consequently, they're not easy to find, but for some reason, unlike the similar Maksutov-Newtonians, they sell for very reasonable prices. (My own SN-6 cost me perhaps $200.) Meade made 6-, 8- and 10-inch versions of them more than a decade ago, mostly packaged with LXD55 or LXD75 computerized equatorial mounts. Except for the 6" (the one I use) I think they were under-mounted on those. So the 6" is the largest I'd recommend for a HEQ-5. What the Schmidt-Newtonian offers over a regular Newtonian is: a) reduced coma (generally eliminates the need for additional coma correction, if using a crop-sensor) b) eliminates diffraction spikes and c) generally, a tendency to hold collimation very well.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow