Manual focus and Peaking Highlights

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 26,447
Manual focus and Peaking Highlights

I always considered that Peking Highlights have limited value in terms of focusing and preferred focusing through magnified EVF image because I could just not get the accuracy I wanted using the Peaking highlights feature as I could get through the magnified EVF image. Today I realized this to be entirely my own fault, and the probable reason is that I did not read the manual about this part.

My mistake was assuming, and not reading. I assumed that setting d10 to 3 (high sensitivity) means very sensitive focus, so when things start to glow then the glowing part was in accurate focus. This was apparently TOTALLY wrong, because it is quite the opposite, setting to 1 (low sensitivity) is the one which gives the most accurate focus. I just realized this through a YouTube video I came across this morning.

I made some quick tests in my office and yes, focusing is definitely accurate when set to 1 (low sensitivity) but regardless which colour I chose, it is VERY difficult to see the glow, especially in this case, so I still think it has limited value and I still get just as accurate focus through the EVF when the image is magnified.

This is my quick and dirty test image.

...and the above is a 100% crop of two images, the left was taken with d10 set to 3 and the right is set to 1. The difference is obvious, and previous trials gave me the same results, which is why I never really used it. Note that both showing the same key, but I seem to have moved forward a bit when I took the right one.

I don't know if everyone else was aware of this before, but just in case there is another one like me out there, who assumed that 3 should be the right setting, please change immediately to 1 if accurate focus is important to you.

Anyway, it's my fault, and once again, another evidence that reading the manual is a good idea, especially if you want to use a new feature.

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
Canon PowerShot D10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow