Any one using RX100 as a second camera

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
BluestravellerTX Forum Member • Posts: 88
Re: Any one using RX100 as a second camera

pcunnin wrote:

BluestravellerTX wrote:

Carlo UK wrote:

Hi

I have the A7RII and thinking of getting the RX100 VA as a camera to carry when I don't want/need the full frame. Ie beach, holiday, street photography. Any one else doing this and how does it perform

Ta Carlo

I use a similar combo, but I approached this from the other direction. I started with a RX100-III to use in conjunction with my Canon 6D and eventually replaced the 6D with an A7 R3. I've done some vacations exclusively with the RX100-III when I don't want to carry a lot of gear. And for the vacations where I'm carrying gear, it's a no-brainer to pack the RX100-III because it's so small and I will use it for exactly the reasons you point out.

I used an RX100 III on a vacation and I found it inconvenient to pull out and use, and it was one more thing to think about where while traveling it’s easy to lose small things (at least for me) since you have to use your brain a lot for figuring stuff out.

Personally I sold it and use my phone now while traveling, Iphone XR. It might be better cost wise to invest in a good phone for traveling especially since a lot of phones now come with telephoto lenses.

After testing I found the RX100 pics to be pretty similar to phone pics, I carry my micro 4/3 for traveling, which I don’t care about losing since it’s even cheaper somehow than an RX100.

I don't have an XR, but my spouse does. We've shot photos of the same event with the RX100and the XR, and I've compared the photos. The XR photos are extremely good for a phone, but I can see a clear difference for close ups of flowers etc when I look closely. For landscapes in bright light the gap is much narrower.

BluestravellerTX's gear list:BluestravellerTX's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Sony a7R III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow