What do i need ? A softbox or an umbrella ?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Eagle430s Regular Member • Posts: 293
What do i need ? A softbox or an umbrella ?

I am trying to figure out which modifier is best for me to buy...

I want something portable and not very expensive to use outdoor when photographing people -(portraits ..3/'4 shots etc.)

I am just starting out on off camera flash and this is for my hobby not paid jobs so I don't want to spend too much money.. I already got a flash (yognuo yn600rt ii  ) a yognuo transmitter and receiver set and also a mid quality light stand

I ve seen a few videos and read a few bits about umbrellas vs softboxes.. I understand that the umbrella is more prone to wind and can be knocked down more easy compared to a softbox and its also spilling light everywhere..On the other hand softboxes are more directional in light? sending light in a narrower spread therefore being able to control the light..

also sometimes I might use this offcamera flash in a location such as a restaurant- café etc.

In my case if I use the softbox the light will be narrower compared to the umbrella so my subject-model will have a narrower spread of light on the face-body ? On the other hand the umbrella will have a much wider spread so that my model will be lid better with out any shadows and with an umbrella I might be able to get some full body shots as well since the umbrella can spread the light a lot more than the softbox?

I am not sure if I understand this correct  I mean if that;s the case between softbox vs umbrellas ?

which one would be better for me? a large umbrella that can be used as a bounced and as shoot through or a big 80x80cm softbox?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow