Race to the future

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
thenoilif Senior Member • Posts: 1,149
Race to the future

The recent anniversary of the moon landing got me thinking about another technological race. Which camera format will win out:

Smartphone cameras or ILCs

As it stands now, younger generations fully embrace the ergonomics and functionality of touch-based photo taking using what amounts to a photo frame extension of your hand. Also, in its current capability, the smartphone camera is now able to duplicate what ILC cameras are capable of producing in many key areas with large hi-res prints and sports & wildlife photography being its main limitations.

ILC technology has seemingly reached its pinnacle and this is almost entirely due to the innate limitation of the physics of the lens.

With the nature of computational photography, it will benefit the smart camera format more so than the ILC format as it would be like taking a record, digitizing it, and then using the digitized version to make it 'better'. We know how the audiophile purists think about that already. Camera companies have been reluctant to incorporate the level of comp. photography into their machines because it would concede a certain level of defeat and would turn what makes them great (those big lenses) into the obvious liability that many are already realizing.

I see a situation where the smartphone camera form factor will eventually be able to do what all ILC cameras can do right now as far as image production and in the future the only people choosing ILCs are the ones who want to produce a sort of 'vintage' look, like what we see right now with people still choosing to shoot film.

What say you?

Edit: I am looking for serious discussion regarding this topic. Lets talk the technology and not your ego. I really do think that this is where our hobby and the industry is heading and there are plenty of signs out there that show it.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow