Creating backlight in a studio

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 14,744
Re: Creating backlight in a studio

RhonaldJR wrote:

Newbie to studio lighting (warning: loaded question):

Do you guys have any advise on (or point to the right youtube video or blog page)

(1) creating back light for portraits in studio and

Use any bright light - a light bulb, a hot-shoe flash, or a strobe. Adjust the brightness as desired for flash or strobe.

(2) creating lens flare ?

Use any of the above and adjust the brightness and position to get the desired effect.

Try out using one of your LEDs for a back light and lens flare. If it doesn't work a hot-shoe flash off to the side and aimed at the camera can be very good for causing lens flare - you can zoom it out so it doesn't also illuminate the subject or zoom it in so that it does. Flexibility is great.

(3) Do I need smoking machine to create this or this effect?

Nice examples of low key in the first link. Dark background, dark clothing, generally dark hair, perfect exposure of the subject.  Can't get any better.

Do you need a smoke machine? Yes and no. There is smoke in some, not in others. Look on-line for a cheap small Halloween smoke machine for studio work.

Gavin Hoey uses a small smoke generator in one of these videos. I can't remember which but they are all worth watching.

Adorama - Gavin Hoey - Home Studio Essentials Part 10 (links to parts 1-9 included)

Water droplets are in other images.

With either smoke or water droplets you get different effects from front, side, and back lighting.  Set up a lawn sprinkler at night and try different types of lighting.  If you have a friend who smokes do the same, then do your best to get them to stop smoking - it is killing them.

Do I need a directed light (similar to this ) to achieve lens flare and others I have asked?

No. Any bright light source in the view of the camera can cause lens flare.

If you really want lens flare buy a cheap "protective" clear glass filter for your lens. The two parallel glass surfaces of the filter are great for producing lens flare. The poorer the lens coating the more flare. Just be sure to remove the filter when you finish using it for lens flare.

A lens hood is many times better for protecting your lens than any "protective" filter. Use one 100% of the time unless you are trying to get lens flare.

Currently I have 2 x Godox AD200 (strobe and accessories), Neewer 2 Packs Dimmable Bi-Color 480 LED Video Light and Stand Lighting Kit, Kate backdrops (Black, Brown, artistic)

Camera I will be using: GFX-50S

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 5DS R & 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow