Problems with a6500 built-in flash

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Thad E Ginathom
Thad E Ginathom Regular Member • Posts: 154
Problems with a6500 built-in flash

I regularly read posts on forums where people ask about some camera problem and what they should do. There is usually an obvious answer: Take it for repair! Well, now it is my turn, and I am guessing that is my answer too, but comments and suggestions welcome.

I have had my a6500 for about 4 months. Previously I was using an a6000, with which I never had any problems or unexpected behaviour with the flash: within its limits it worked fine, from close-up to wherever it could reach. The flash power compensation worked well too.

I don't use the flash often, but it is nice to have it there when wanted. But what I am getting is odd and seemingly random behaviour from my a6500 flash.

1. Quite often it just does not fire.
  2. Flash compensation setting seems to have little or no effect.
  3. When it does work, usually the exposure is ok, but sometimes it over-exposes to the extent of an almost white frame!

This is what I have tried:

1. I have cleaned the hot-shoe contacts.
  2. I have cleaned the lens/camera contacts.

The latter because I found that with no lens on the camera, the flash fired every time.

Settings? The flash is set to its default "fill-in flash" menu setting, and the flash power compensation is at 0.0.

Is there any setting I have overlooked? Is there any legitimate reason why an a6500 flash does not fire at all, even in low light?

Any suggestions please?

I cannot easily return the camera to the shop, as I bought it by email from a business (of very good reputation) on the other side of the country (India). However, there is a Sony service centre not very far away, and I guess the answer is going to be... take it there.

Right?

-- hide signature --

Just a taker of snapshots

Thad E Ginathom's gear list:Thad E Ginathom's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a6000 Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow