G9 High Res Mode - strictly for the "Peepers"

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Happy Daze Regular Member • Posts: 316
G9 High Res Mode - strictly for the "Peepers"

Received my Panasonic G9 yesterday and had hours of fun just going through the settings (there are so many), but that's another story.

Took it out for a trial run today and was intrigued to try the High Resolution mode. Don't get me wrong, this camera produces great photos in standard mode and I am so far very satisfied. The High Resolution mode has me seriously impressed. The camera produces 80mp RAW files which at first glance appear a little soft but it's not until they are resized that I could really appreciate the incredible detail and lack of noise.

I have included a sample below. This was taken in low light inside a church, I have set the camera to also produce a standard RAW alongside the High-Def image. I processed the standard RAW file in the exact same way as the High-Def and then just resized the larger image to the same dimension as the standard. Please note that I turned of all sharpening and noise reduction for both images but I did crop them to 16:9.

You will need to download the original file and view these at 100% to appreciate the difference, don't mean to shout but you will not see much difference in the images resized/re-compressed by DPReview. The standard image is first followed by the resized High-Res version.

I know the High-Res technique has it's limitations, but for static shots like this what do you reckon?

Just to be clear, I am not complaining at all about the original image I just feel that the High-Res image has a little more to offer in terms of detail and less noise.

Normal Resolution:

High Resolution

Panasonic G9 - 12-60mm f3.5-5.6

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow