I did it. I killed my Z6.

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ovrebekk
ovrebekk Veteran Member • Posts: 4,462
I did it. I killed my Z6.

The first day of vacation I put my Z6 on a tripod in a small boat to do some time lapse photography, When I jumped out of the boat it started rocking, plunging the Z6 straight into the sea.

I was able to pull it out of the water in a couple of seconds, and washed it off in fresh water immediately thereafter, but after leaving it to dry for a couple of hours the camera would not power up.

I delivered it for repair the day after, and when they got back to me a week later they basically stated that the camera was beyond repair because of damage to the electronics.

24-70mm f4 S @ 70mm, 1/1000s, f5.6, ISO 100. The Z6 at Winsor castle UK.

It made for a bad start of the vacation for sure. I have never worried about the durability of my cameras before, but have never been careless enough to drop one of them in the ocean either.

24-70mm f4 S @ 24mm, 1/750s, f5.6, ISO 100. Panorama from Munnar, India.

24-70mm f4 S @ 70mm, 1/1000s, f4, ISO 100. Cherai Beach, Kochi, India

The camera did get some action during it's short life span. I got married in India at the start of the year, and having a small camera with excellent video capabilities was a blessing.

50mm f1.8 S, 1/60s, f2.0, ISO 250. Obligatory cat picture back in Norway

The story ends on a high note though, as my travel insurance ended up covering the price of a new Z6, minus a small deposit (they basically covered ~95% of the cost of a new camera).

With Nikon being in dire straights these days my carelessness will at least benefit them, now that I put in an order for a new Z6.

Moral of the story: Don't be stupid, keep your camera away from sea water

Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
FKS
FKS
NCB
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow