Remote Flash Triggers for Nikon D600

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 1,674
Re: YN RF-603II vs Phottix Ares

kli wrote:

blink667 wrote:

fotowbert wrote:

1. The RF-603II are transceivers while the Ares are dedicated TX and RX units. Transceiver units offer more redundancy should a unit fail. Having only a single TX unit would make me nervous.

I should point out, however, that the RF-603II triggers are incompatible with Yongnuo's TTL gear for the most part (unless you turn the TTL triggers/flashes into manual only ones). If you were, say, to add an SB-700 into the mix or something, use either of these triggers would be a problem

But. Phottix is rolling out the Odin Z system, and the Ares II triggers are included in it, and that would let you use your older SB units as manual slaves, and a newer Nikon iTTL flash on an Odin II receiver, or the Phottix Juno TTL in TTL in conjunction with them. Like Godox gear, the Odin Z system allows for cross-brand TTL support, as well as TTL and manual gear working together. Yongnuo's systems don't allow for either yet.

... Operation of the side switch on the RF-603II triggers is somewhat confusing.

? OFF / TX / TRX isn't that hard to figure out.

• OFF: power off.
  • TX: forced transmitter mode.
  • TRX: automatic assignment of transmitter/receiver for Canon/Nikon cameras; RX (receiver) assignment for everybody else.

Not having a Canon/Nikon camera but an RF-603IIC I have to disagree: TRX mode is a bit complex but works with cameras other than Canon (Sony DSC-R1 here)

In either mode (except OFF but that's sort of a given), having the transceiver's hotfoot triggered causes its own hotshoe to trigger as well as the hotshoe of every other transceiver on the same channel in TRX setting.

In TX setting, the button on the transceiver has the same function, so you can use it for checking your flash setup (for example, whether any additional flashes on optical slave trigger fire).

In TRX mode, the transceiver button changes its function from triggering all hotshoes on this and other transceivers in TRX configuration to triggering all camera trigger outputs (the 2.5mm TRS socket) on this and other transceivers in TRX configuration.

TX uses less current than TRX so you'd use it for a simple remote flash setup on the camera-mounted transceiver.  If the camera is to be remote-triggered, you'll use TRX on all transceivers.  Whatever trigger you use for triggering the camera (whether with a flash of its own mounted or not), switching it to TX instead of TRX temporarily will allow you to just trigger the flashes with the button without triggering the camera.

If the camera trigger output turned into a camera trigger input in TX mode (I haven't checked but the manual does not mention anything like it so it's unlikely), one could use the transceivers for extending an existing remote trigger connection without having to use the button.  Maybe in some future model.  But I am already impressed either way.

Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow