Briese

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
White Buffalo Junior Member • Posts: 39
Briese

Please talk to me about Briese.

I was made aware of the brand a few years ago by a fashion shooter friend from NYC whose clients often rent them for him- he swears by them, saying nothing comes close.

Shortly after he introduced me to them, I started researching them, but there's really limited info on them out there, I'm assuming largely due to their very high cost.

I'm considering investing in a Focus 140 or 180 (for flash) at some point, but would like to hear more from owners/users before doing so.

I have a hard time imagining any modifier yielding a night and day superior difference to more standard stuff (soft box, octa, beauty dish), but remain open minded. The few shooters I've chatted with who use a Briese Focus parabolic praise it to the sky, saying it's the best and most inspiring light/modifier they've ever encountered. I get that it offers something different and you can't really say it's better or worse than more conventional modifiers (everything is different of course), but really... is it that much better? Are you just paying for specular highlights and an attractive catchlight or is there something more? I understand it's a versatile system that can do the "hard but soft" thing and more- is there anything else I'm missing that makes the cost justifiable?

The cost FWIW is only slightly more than the equal sized Bron Para I was considering, so the Briese seems the more logical choice given that I've read the Bron is a copy of it- I don't know for certain though, perhaps someone who's used both could comment? I'd likely also go for a Profoto or Bron adapted flash head + pack.

Really just eager to absorb anything/everything about Briese anyone cares to share as there's a good deal of mystique about them- lots of people know the name and gasp when it's mentioned, but so few first hand user accounts exist.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow