Tilt-Shift lens worth it?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
mmarian Senior Member • Posts: 1,866
Re: Tilt-Shift lens worth it?

Ed Rizk wrote:

mmarian wrote:

Ed Rizk wrote:

mmarian wrote:

The whole idea of shooting architecture with ts-e lenses is to get the verticals straight. If you tilt the camera ever so marginally when shooting handheld you will need to correct in post. With 17mm it becomes more critical as everything is amplified by the super WA perspective. I suspect that you will soon addopt shooting from tripod and in LV with this lens😉

Sometimes I leave a little keystoning on purpose, especially if the building is tall or there is a two story ceiling inside. I never leave as much as there would be with no shift.

When I first got the 17, I bought a 6D to stick on the back of it. The level was worthless, so I had to eyeball it or use the bubble level on the tripod. My verticals were rarely perfect before I bought the R. Non photographer clients still noticed a great improvement . The R made them much better with that nice big level. Only photographers noticed that difference.

Better is still better, even if it’s not perfect.

If you are a perfectionist, too much correction in processing creates artifacts and distortion, so there is still a benefit to the shift lens. I just hate the ergonomics of it hand held anti get more camera shake because of it.

What is R ??

The EOS R, Canon’s new mirrorless camera, has a huge level that everyone else complains about. I just have it on a button. It also meters correctly when the lens is shifted. With the 6D, I had to chimp and EC by as much as four stops. It has cut my shooting time with the 17 in half.

I see, thanks. The electronic spirit leven on my 5D4 goes accross the entire rear display, not sure how much bigger it can be on R. I guess you are talking about the electronic VF. I am aware of that camera existence but never considered it for my line of work. Not sure what benefit it would bring to my photos. Then again, I only shoot architecture and only for higher end clients who allow for the extra time and have the budget to cover it. So, I am hardly every constrained by time on location. The way I work with TS-E lenses is to shoot in M, get the exposure right without shifting, set the f and s and then shift and compose. Or simply shoot in LV with histogram. Not that complicated or time consuming really...

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow