Increasing Flash/Strobe Output without Increasing Power

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
flyinglentris
OP flyinglentris Contributing Member • Posts: 657
Re: Let me suggest a more basic guide to learning the fundamental entrails of lighting

Ellis Vener wrote:

Let me suggest a more basic guide to learning the fundamental entrails of lighting, a book which has stood me in good stead over the years: “Matters of Light and Depth” by the late Academy Technical Award winning cinematographer and inventor, Ross Lowell.

I finally found and just received a primo copy of this book that is not scribbled on, marked up and is in excellent unread condition. I purchased it for $3.99 paperback on e-Bay. I've just started reading it.

Lowell apparently died in February of this year and this book seems to be out of print.

It is very difficult to find in a new or like-new condition copy. And that is the one reason I posted about this now - to advise members that time is running out to purchase this book in a new or like-new condition. New copies can be found for about $46 and up on one or two web sites. Of course, $3.99 for a like-new copy cannot be beat and certainly, made it an easy choice for me to buy. That kind of deal is an exception.

it is a very practical guide to understanding how to use efficiently and effectively use light to create on location most of the effects photographers actually use. It also has the advantage of not referring to specific brands of lighting equipment the way Daniel Norton (Who does a great job with Portrait Lighting ) and many other contemporary internet gurus do.

After that, the next piece of educational material you should have in your toolbox is “Light, Science and Magic.”

I already have this book and have finished reading it weeks ago. It is a good informative and helpful read.

These two books lay out the building blocks of how to manipulate light to create virtually any effect you’ll ever need and like building blocks the techniques can be combined in hundreds of ways.

But something fundamental remains, a skill which can be taught but not passively learned and that is how to see light. You learn that over time through practice, experimenting, failing, succeeding, and by looking at paintings and other photographs. If you get good at it you will develop a feel for what looks right and imaging what you want a photo to look like. This part, seeing and imaging, incorporates but transcends craft and is where half of the Art in photography resides.

Understood.

-- hide signature --

flyinglentris in LLOMA

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow