Micro four-thirds vs. Foveon

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 15,314
Micro four-thirds vs. Foveon

Posting this out of amazement, after carefully setting a Panasonic GH1+14-45mm and the DP2M as equivalent as I could get and very carefully manually focusing on the power pole at the end of the street:

The difference in "detail" should be obvious even in the post view!

Having switched to Sigma (SD9) years ago, I must have become quite blasé as regards the Foveon, although I do recall being mightily impressed with the Merrills when they first came out.

With deteriorating eyesight and ever-shakier hands, I became nostalgic about the ease of use of the Panasonic 'G' models and thought I would try the GH1 for a while, hence the shoot-out.

Distance to the power pole was 175 meters. The GH1 was set to 3:2 aspect ratio to match the DP2M. The DP2M shot was re-sampled down to 4128x2752px giving a slight sharpness advantage to the DP2M but not enough to explain the jaw-dropping difference.

It's almost like the lens is bad (it's the 14-45mm G1 kit lens); I intend to charge up my G1 and see how that compares ...

-- hide signature --

Ted

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD15 +18 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Sigma DP2 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow