NetSlob
NetSlob Regular Member • Posts: 405
Re: RX100 VI/VII

zeitlos wrote:

scrane wrote:

zeitlos wrote:

scrane wrote:

zeitlos wrote:

And restricting yourself in terms of focal length (prime) often results in a better picture.

Hmmm.

???

I've heard this before. Seems to be a limitation of the photographer rather than the lens.

If you are a photographer, you must have heard if it since it’s a very basic advise by successful artists. It propels creativity. https://davidduchemin.com/2013/07/the-power-of-constraint/

There can be restrictions of various kinds. Focal length is just one of them that forces you to develop creativity. And as it’s always the case with primes, you will end up with a better perspective, since you frame the motive with your feet instead of just zooming in from a not so perfect angle.

of course it’s not everybody’s cup of tea. However, the fixed focal length promises good results.

I agree that using primes often stimulates creativity. As Orson Welles said, “The enemy of art is the absence of limitations.”

A prime lens forces the photographer to move and interact with the environment more than a zoom lens; those forced interactions often result in the discovery of fresh vantage points that produce more pleasing photos.

As for the RX100, when traveling overseas I use mine daily. I will probably upgrade to the VII soon, although personally I'd prefer the faster lens.

NetSlob's gear list:NetSlob's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony RX100 IV Sony RX100 V Sony Alpha NEX-3 Nikon D7000 +25 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow