Awesome lens if you are willing to accept the compromises

Started Aug 10, 2019 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
davidrf
davidrf Junior Member • Posts: 25
Awesome lens if you are willing to accept the compromises

Being a Tamron 28-75 owner, I bought this new 17-28 as soon as it reached the stores. I will not hide the fact I would have much preferred the classic 16-35/24-70 combo in focal lenght, but considering the price/quality ratio and the weight of these two lenses, I really can't complain. As far as I can tell, the 17-28 has even better quality than its older brother. At f/2.8 the sharpness is excellent on the center of the frame and very very good on the corners. Flare and CA are very well kept under control. Bokeh is round and smooth but with just a little bit of onion ring effect. Distorsion is pretty noticeable as in many wide angle zooms. Color rendition, which I hated in my old Tamron 24-70 f-2.8 I for Canon, is really good. Overall, a very very nice lens for the price. To step up from this kind of quality you have to spend more than double the price...

-- hide signature --

Ekam Sat

davidrf's gear list:davidrf's gear list
Sony a7 III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD +3 more
Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD
Wideangle zoom lens • Sony FE • A046
Announced: Feb 20, 2019
davidrf's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow