Details, DP2M and Pixel-Peeping ...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
docmaas
docmaas Veteran Member • Posts: 6,504
Re: I recant

MyReality wrote:

"Please don't mistake the cloud of confirmation bias that you have exhibited in this response for any kind of objective assessment. You're no different than the rest of us... completely incapable, that is, of seeing the truth without extensive empirical investigation which a few conversations on this forum does not so constitute.
That aside are you a native speaker of English?"

Wow! Did you actually write those two paragraphs?

Of course I did. Did you understand them?

"confirmation bias" - are you against confirming anything with objective testing"

The referent for "confirmation" in confirmation bias is prior experience, the impact of which on present experience is to obscure the present by forcing its interpretation in terms of the past. That's why empirical evidence is essential to overcoming it. You stated an opinion based on prior experience about a current situation and thereby prevent a fresh experience of the present that might, if allowed to present itself more objectively, actually alter the current experience to a fresher and perhaps more revealing understanding. To support your assertion about the characteristics of foveon users you need to find a way to empirically test the assertions. Failing to do so leaves it as a simple opinion and one necessarily tainted by prior experience.

Here is an early account of the recognition of confirmation bias though it is not so named:

For what a man had rather were true he more readily believes. Therefore he rejects difficult things from impatience of research; sober things, because they narrow hope; the deeper things of nature, from superstition; the light of experience, from arrogance and pride, lest his mind should seem to be occupied with things mean and transitory; things not commonly believed, out of deference to the opinion of the vulgar. Numberless in short are the ways, and sometimes imperceptible, in which the affections colour and infect the understanding. [Francis Bacon, "Novum Organum," 1620]

found here: https://www.etymonline.com/word/bias

Yes, I am a native speaker of English. I am also a speaker of math and logic.

Good for you. I just noticed your use of "commuting" for communicating and wondered if it was a typo or a non native speakers mistake. Apparently it was a typo. Had it not been I would have complemented you on your English because the rest of the writing would have been very good for a non native.  That's why I asked.

-- hide signature --

"Dao ke dao, fei chang dao. Ming ke ming, fei chang ming" Laozi
"At every crossroads on the path that leads to the future, tradition has placed 10,000 men to guard the past."
Maurice Maeterlinck

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow