Replacement for Canon G16?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
YWG Contributing Member • Posts: 550
Re: Replacement for Canon G16?

segacs wrote:

Main criteria:

• Fast lens for lots of indoor / low-light shooting without a flash.
  • Great battery life. My G16 can go 350-400 shots on a single charge.
  • Compact and purse-sized.
  • Viewfinder -- optical or electronic, don't care, but it needs one.
  • Manual controls.
  • Good image quality for a compact camera. I've been less than satisfied with the softness of my test shots with a friend's Panasonic ZS200, for instance
  • Must be able to shoot RAW.
  • Intangible: Good grip, must be easy to operate one-handed.
  • Long zoom would be a nice-to-have, especially for upcoming wildlife trip.
  • Need to be able to get my hands on this camera in the next 2 weeks.

Stuff I don't care about:

• Video. Whatevs.
  • Touchscreens, articulating screens, etc.
  • GPS

Uses: Travel, mostly. Some around-town and friends and family snapshots. But mostly travel. This needs to be the ultimate multi-purpose travel camera.

Price is sort of a consideration, but for the right camera I'd invest.

The OVF/EVF narrows your selection.

ZS100/200 is too soft for you. FZ300/330, FZ1000, FZ2500 too big but they have long zooms.

LX100 has a F1.7-2.8 24-75mm lens, EVF, RAW, manual controls. It is slightly wider than the G16 but shorter. It is noticeably thicker however due to the lens. The larger sensor would afford you an improvement in high ISO but you lose long end range. The mki is 550-600 USD new as they have the mkii (more resolution).

Perhaps a fleabay Olympus Stylus 1/1s. 28-300mm F2.8 lens, EVF, manual controls, shoots RAW. 380 USD including shipping and 90 day coverage coming off an electronics refurb vendor. I wish they would have made an update to this camera. I've seen it go locally as low as 95 USD but they are pretty rare for postings.

G1x mkiii is a APS-C sensored camera with a 24-72mm F2.8-5.6 lens. RAW, EVF, manual controls. It is like a pocket DSLR with a tiny kit lens. Weather resistant. Kinda spendy IMO though.

I have seen G16 on craigs locally for as low as 75 USD. Typically they are 2-3 times that however. If you are in the states, maybe Keh or BHphoto used might be acceptable. Keh is more expensive than the local listings but you get a 6 month coverage.

Had this been a few years ago, I might have considered the G16. Great field of cameras back then with the XZ-2, MX-1, LX7, EX1/2.

The only other options I see right now are a Sony RX100 mkiii which has a popup viewfinder, 24-70 f1.8-2.8 lens. There is the G5x mki with 24-100mm F1.8-2.8 and the G5x mkii 24-120mm F1.8-2.8. I currently use the G5x mki. Like the ZS200, you might encounter some softness at 100%. I think the apparent sharpness of my S90 was better perhaps due to greater DOF but maybe also due to lens/sensor design and coverage. The files are 20MP so I suspect with some downsizing to the G16, the apparent sharpness difference may not actually be that different.

YWG's gear list:YWG's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon EOS 7D Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
YWG
YWG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow