Replacement for Canon G16?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
segacs New Member • Posts: 21
Replacement for Canon G16?

After six years, my beloved Canon G16 is dying again. I spent $500 on it new, $300 last year on a full repair, and now I'm getting the dreaded "lens error" again... only a few weeks before I'm off to Madagascar for a wildlife trip. Eek! It's not even enough time to send the camera out for repair again, even if it were worth the money to do so.

So I need a replacement camera in a hurry. But the challenge is that the reason I've hung onto the G16 for so long is, well, there really isn't anything out there that ticks all those boxes anymore.

Main criteria:

• Fast lens for lots of indoor / low-light shooting without a flash. The G16 is a smaller sensor camera, true. But the maximum aperture of f1.8-2.8 is everything with this camera -- indoor shots come out sharp and clear every time.
  • Great battery life. My G16 can go 350-400 shots on a single charge. When travelling, this is critical.
  • Compact and purse-sized.
  • Viewfinder -- optical or electronic, don't care, but it needs one.
  • Manual controls. At the very least, aperture, shutter speed, ISO and white balance.
  • Good image quality for a compact camera. I think the G16 has spoiled me. I've been less than satisfied with the softness of my test shots with a friend's Panasonic ZS200, for instance -- a camera I might otherwise have considered due to specs.
  • Must be able to shoot RAW.
  • Intangible: Good grip, must be easy to operate one-handed. Often trying to sneak off those shots on the go. The G16 just has SUCH great ergonomics.
  • Long zoom would be a nice-to-have, especially for upcoming wildlife trip.
  • Need to be able to get my hands on this camera in the next 2 weeks.

Stuff I don't care about:

• Video. Whatevs.
  • Touchscreens, articulating screens, etc.
  • GPS

Uses: Travel, mostly. Some around-town and friends and family snapshots. But mostly travel. This needs to be the ultimate multi-purpose travel camera.

Price is sort of a consideration, but for the right camera I'd invest.

tl;dr I adore my Canon G16 and it's dying and I would love to replace it with another G16 if I could but they don't exist anymore and I'm sad and heartbroken and need the next best thing in a hurry because I'm travelling soon.

Canon PowerShot G16
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
YWG
YWG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow