Tilt-Shift lens worth it?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
JackM
JackM Veteran Member • Posts: 8,665
Re: Tilt-Shift lens worth it?

mmarian wrote:

Ian L wrote:

The 17mm canon

Just reiterate, you need to shield the front element of this lens from any direct light, such as sun or ceiling downlights etc. Otherwise you migh end up with number of rainbow colored spots all over the image. That is the only downside of this otherwise excellent lens. The sweet spot is around f11, try to stick with that especially when shifting. At extreme shifts you might need to use f16 to get decently sharp extremities of the frame. None of this should be limiting when shooting stationary subject i.e. architecture and off course use tripod with your gear head when possible.

Good luck and congrats to your purchase.

I only got the rainbow spot in direct sunlight if the sun was anywhere in front of me. In that case it is one prism spot that you can clone out in 1 second. I didn't get it indoors. I had great results at f/8. Tripod is essential otherwise you are correcting distortion in post, which is what you bought the lens to avoid. Geared head is a big time saver.

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow