Polarizing Filter for Studio Light/Flash Units

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
flyinglentris
OP flyinglentris Contributing Member • Posts: 657
Re: Polarizing Filter for Studio Light/Flash Units

Michael Fryd wrote:

flyinglentris wrote:

It is a linear polarizer. It is 4"x4" and does not look like it would fit Buff's LiteMod Mainframe which I believe fits 7"x7" inserts. The circular hole through Buff's filter holders also looks bigger than 4" diameter.

As has been suggested, buy a 17" by 22" inch sheet of Rosco Polarizing filter.

If you are using the Paul Buff LiteMod™ system, get a set of LightMod Gel holders. The Gel holders are just cardboard. Buy only one set. If you need more, use the first set as a pattern to make you own. If you like you can simply make your own gel holders out of rectangular cardboard, with a large hole in the center.

I just recently purchased the LiteMod Mainframe, some diffusion filters, the snoot and the barndoors, as well as the Gel Filter Holders.   So, I'm all set to use the Rosco sheet.

When you cut the large polarizing sheet to fit the holders, be consistent with the orientation. You want to be able to place gels in multiple lights consistent polarizing orientation.

I only have one LiteMod MainFrame at this time.

If you are using Einsteins, don't leave the polarizing filter in place with the modeling light on. You will get a burn mark in the center of your polarizing gel. Slide the gels out when you want to use the modeling light, and back in when the modeling light is off. A few seconds of modeling light won't hurt, but if you leave the gel in place for a while, you will get a burn. I would also be hesitant to use the gel with an Alien Bee 150W modeling light.

Understood.

Polarizing filters on the lights, and a polarizing filter on the lens is a very effective technique for reducing glare from highly reflective objects. It can be a great tool for shooting artwork.

Understood.

Thanks for your input.

-- hide signature --

flyinglentris in LLOMA

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow