Dated but still excellent for sun-lit photos

Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CUBE OVER New Member • Posts: 8
Dated but still excellent for sun-lit photos

I have bought this camera in 2011, for the Foveon and APS-C of course. With relatively low resolution (by 2019 measure) the pixels are so huge they are able to capture the sunlight and gloomy light so well you can tell what type of clouds there was on the day!

I love the slightly-saturated but "full" colors, that are never wrong - given you leave it to "Sun" color mode - "Auto" does not work well.

SIGMA Photo Pro is quirky, in terms that by default it will try and process RAW in sRGB mode. One has to go to Settings in the PC/Mac software and set the "processing canvas" colorspace to ProPhoto, to avoid disappointment. One may also drop saturation by -2 to keep it fair with reality. It also helps to save JPGs in a better output gamut, if your viewers support that (Adobe RGB, or ProPhoto to avoid colorspace conversion)

Many new SIGMA users may gave up without knowing what's going on, i guess. Counter-intuitive default settings in SPP I must say.

I have given the DP2s away as a gift, because I then bought a DP2 Merrill which was razor-sharp crazy resolution but worse color reproduction (it saw some IR as well).

Ended up selling DP2 Merrill and re-buying a DP2s which I shall keep forever.

I understood the color capture quality is my prime requirement, resolution comes second. Must've been spoiled by color film slides as a kid...

I have also bought a DP1s for wider landscape/architecture shots but color purity there is not as good as it's an earlier camera. It is also lots slower to process/write RAW shots.

Looking at latest SD Quattro photos does not get me excited, all I see is some preference towards olive-green gamma, not in my taste. Looks Nikon-ish.

So, in a nutshell, DP2s is the pinnacle of Foveon, for me. That or SD15 if one must use various lenses.

HTH

CUBE OVER's gear list:CUBE OVER's gear list
Sigma DP2s FastStone Image Viewer Nokia Lumia 930
Sigma DP2s
5 megapixels • 2.5 screen • 41 mm
Announced: Feb 20, 2010
CUBE OVER's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
weak
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
bad
Flash photography (social)
okay
Studio / still life
good
= community average
Sigma DP1s Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP2s Sigma sd Quattro Sigma SD15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow