Details, DP2M and Pixel-Peeping ...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
furtle
furtle Contributing Member • Posts: 899
Re: I recant

xpatUSA wrote:

PrebenR wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

I must have failed to make it clear that I use pixel-peeping only for the checking of image quality, NOT as a means to "take pictures of details".

Pixel-peeping does not show the image quality, at all.

I bow to your superior digital photographic knowledge.

I recant: pixel-peeping does NOT reveal:

- Artifacts

- CA

- Blur

- Noise

All images should be assessed only after zooming smoothed so as to fit fully within the viewing medium, whatever that might be.

It shows sensor/lens capabilities, accuracy of the photograph (in focus). All those aspects can be perfect, and the image is still crap.

Image quality doesn't come from perfect details alone.

Here's a definition of "image quality" for you to disagree with, all or in part:

It's for camera phones but just as applicable to other imagers, I reckon:

http://www.imatest.com/solutions/cpiq/

I will of course give your opinion much more weight than that of Norman Koren and Imatest.

A picture of a beautiful girl on the beach has a much higher image quality than a small, artificially-generated, pixel-sized mesh.

Thank you for pointing out my glaring error. Please feel free to have the coveted Last Word.

'bye ...

Ted, please don't get the 'ol hump; it ain't worth the extra heart beats.  You started an interesting thread that has, interestingly, drifted.  In my book, a good thing as it opens up the discussion.

I mentioned up thread I've printed a dozen photos from various cameras, something I've not done for a while.  Whereas I can see great advantages of Foveon pics on a screen, those advantages quickly  fall away when printing.  That brought me up short and I've now questioned my interest in Sigma cameras.

Of course there are differences between technical and artistic quality.  I think all can agree with this.  I now think artistic quality trumps techical quality but have no criticism of those striving for the ultimate technical quality.

-- hide signature --

Best, Steve

furtle's gear list:furtle's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital II Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma dp3 Quattro Sigma dp0 Quattro Sony a7S +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow