Photographers vs. Audiophiles (Part 2): Audio Woo

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 55,879
Re: Back to audio and speaker wires for a minute....

Don_Campbell wrote:

Wow. I've watched this thread drift away from audio into rancorous arguments about subjectivity, misleading allusions to neurophysiology and other wayward tacks.

Before the rapidly approaching post limit is reached, I thought it might help folks to have yet another link to knowledgeable information about speaker wires.

There is a really interesting and informative essay by Roger Russell, a former engineer and speaker designer for McIntosh Labs: "Speaker Wire--A History."

It includes A/B testing, skin effects, speaker impedances, actual measurements and a whole lot more. It's also readable. There's even as story about "the amazing Randi" and his challenge to an "audiophile" reviewer to tell the difference between hyper expensive wires and Randi's cables.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Amusingly, it starts with a Mark Twain quotation: "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” No, I didn't check the authenticity of the quotation but it sounds about right for the context of our discussion.

Excellent article, clear and straightforward engineering explanations with no handwaving that you see in many articles on the subject.

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow