70-300mm OS vs 70mm f2.8 EX Macro on SD Quattro H

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 13,641
70-300mm OS vs 70mm f2.8 EX Macro on SD Quattro H

I have a 70-300mm OS lens, which may be my most-used lens on my SD Quattro H these days. I was thinking that I should have used my 70mm macro for a recent shot, rather than being lazy and just keeping my 70-300 on the camera. Since I really didn't know how much difference there is between the two (other than the obvious that one has OS and the other doesn't, while the other has an aperture that opens up to f2.8 and does macro, while the OS lens doesn't). This morning I decided to shoot some test photos, which you might think look a bit unconventional, but I think are a good test of the two lenses, because it represents a typical scenario, where a lot of detail is desired. The scene was shot on a very still morning from a tripod, using 10 second self-timer mode (negating the advantage of the OS lens). These are OOC jpegs, shot in Portrait mode, with the sharpness turned down:

SD Quattro H at 1/250 and ISO 100, with lens at 70mm f6.3

SD Quattro H at 1/250 and ISO 100, with lens at 70mm f6.3

I turn down sharpness all the way in the camera to avoid sharpening halos, and I use Portrait mode, because that's the only mode that allows me to almost eliminate the halos. I can always switch to a different mode in SPP with the raw files. I usually sharpen in GIMP, but these don't seem to need it. The light was pretty contrasty, because it's a clear, sunny, summer day in south Florida, which is perfect for shooting photos like this.

My assessment of these two photos is that I see some serious aliasing, which would only be enhanced by sharpening (luckily I didn't have the sharpness turned up to the middle setting or something). I'm actually surprised how well the zoom lens matches the image quality of the macro, though I acknowledge that the top left of the image looks much better in the photo from the macro lens. I think that lens is sharper in the corners, though it's not really the corners that show best in this photo anyway, since I focused near the middle (just to the right of middle actually).

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +20 more
Sigma sd Quattro H
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow