Photographers vs. Audiophiles (Part 2): Audio Woo

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Brev00
Brev00 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,690
Re: Actually...

tbcass wrote:

Brev00 wrote:

No, what is being denied by the op and several others is the experience of the audiophiles they target. You can oppose my understanding of the different functions of the brain but that doesn't touch the argument that I have set forth as is clearly acknowledged:. No one denies yada yada yada.

Your whole contention I think (you expressed it so pedantically that it got lost)

Okay. You do notice your lack of comprehension. Good.

is if a person hears a difference then for that person it is real on a subjective level. I agree with that. The problem is it doesn't necessarily transfer to anyone else.

The recommended approach of following one's own subjective parameters is transferable.

n an extreme level schizophrenics live in a different reality subjectively. T

Exactly. We normally live in the world of agreement and those who break from that reality are seen as crazy and/or failures. You know, Copernicus. Some have a leg in each realm. Like me. Bipolar.

discussion is about the fact that the person is for all intention being duped even if they don't know it.

The assertion in the op is that people are being duped which means they are not following their own experience, maybe do not even have a subjective experience. Only the opinions of others. So one either exists as a shell as a product of popular agreement or as a shell as the product of persuasion. I objected to the dismissive attitude of the op. I did not mention how off base it is for a photographer to criticize audiophiles on a photography website. The off topic forum no longer exists so this post should not exist. It is also rude as audiophiles are being insulted behind their backs.

The problem with arguing on a subjective level like this is the answers are as numerous as there are people.

This entire post is on the subjective level. Just hides behind a scientific surface. I have pointed out bias.

On the objective level the perceptions of different individuals is taken out of the equation. If you want to discuss the philosophical level of reality you are entering the metaphysical realm.

The attitude of the op reflects an unstated, underlying philosophy that I have attempted to unearth to clarify things.

Originally you suggested "You are now entering the realm of philosophy an area in which you are not likely prepared to engage." You might be surprised that I am more versed in that area than you might imagine although it dates back to my college days long ago. I simply compartmentalize separating the concepts of physical reality from what is essentially a virtual reality.

The separation you assert comes from an unstated philosophy that colors this argument. Analytical. I try to see things from the other's point of view which means I accept their reality. Read Carl Rogers. Empathetic. I am not an audiophile but my brother in law is. I ask him questions, share my understanding of his experience, get feedback. There is a difference between dismissing someone's experience and acknowledging it.

At the same time there is a relationship between the two realities that most people are unable to separate. Many arguments on gear in these forums result from the inability to separate subjective from objective reality and then arguing that what they experience subjectively must be true at a universal level. C

I don't know. Haven't discussed this with those people and only have your report. I would express my experience to contact their own experience rather than appeal to what everyone should do or think. I think. What do you think? If my comment is not helpful to the other person, then that is fine. I have not provided links to third party entities. Just suggested some reading material. Enjoy!

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow