Photographers vs. Audiophiles (Part 2): Audio Woo

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Brev00
Brev00 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,681
Re: Photographers vs. Audiophiles (Part 2): Audio Woo

ThrillaMozilla wrote:

Crash N Burn wrote:

That great thread ended with Don Campbell's interesting post:

Oh-oh. Now you've done it. Now we get to hear from the people who are described in that post.

On a related note, I was weighing whether to get a CD player, so I went to a high-fi shop and asked to hear their best (their best everything, including electronics and speakers). The salesman demonstrated for me and proceeded to tell me how wonderful everything was.

Turns out their "best" amplifier was grossly defective, and they had no idea. The sound was grossly distorted, like with my old Dynaco tube amp when one of two output tubes was dead. Fortunately, their cheapo amp sounded fine. So much for golden ears that could hear what no measurement could detect. What's the moral? I don't know. Placebo effect on steroids?

Or maybe an unqualified salesman?  At least you can hear differences others cannot. Hmmm.

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow