Optical vs Software Photography ?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 55,246
Re: Optical vs Software Photography ?

kiwi2 wrote:

...For starters, using manual focus is much easier and more enjoyable with mirrorless.

Which is it's one and only advantage for stills. Fortunately, I have all auto-focus lenses so this is irrelevant to me.

People started using live view on their DSLRs to make sure focus was more accurate when needed.

Never done it. Not needed and too slow and uncomfortable.

And now being able to adapt an old manual focus lens to a mirrorless camera and use it easily with many aids to get accurate focus like focus peaking is actually a big draw-card for many people.

Not me. I got rid of all those old lenses two decades ago.  Don't want them back either.

And "next to impossible to frame subjects in nightscenes"...???

That's been my experience with live view.

When I had DSLRs and shooting astro nightscapes, I found myself using live view more and more.

Why? I just get solid black displays, and nothing more.

Framing and getting accurate focus on the stars was much easier in live view.

When I shot this, live view was solid black. Yet, I framed and focused with the OVF of my 1.6-crop SLR.

I use live view for less than 1 in 1,000 stills on my SLR, and every EVF I've tried absolutely stinks.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jp4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow