Canon EOS R is MORE color accurate than A7 III

Started Jul 23, 2019 | Discussions thread
Yake Senior Member • Posts: 1,531
Re: Canon EOS R is MORE color accurate than A7 III

maiaibing wrote:

olstrup wrote:

DuxX wrote:

mcslsk wrote:

Quite scientific. Problem is that my eyes already see the colors differently than yours. Rather than color accuracy, for me it comes to "color pleasing" i.e. do I like the look? I do find Canon colors more pleasing - but again, that can be very subjective.

If 98% of shooters think that Canon colors is more "color pleasing" than, maybe, it is not just subjective

First, I don't believe 98% of shooters find "Canon colors" more "color pleasing"

This was tested by the Northrup's. And... they don't. (I know some people here will diss the Northrups for anything they say - but until I see a better test I'll take what I can get - so just drop this part of the commentary if you do not have a better test on offer).

In addition it is obvious, that there is no single Canon "color", but quite a difference from one Canon sensor to the next. A quick look at the studio shots at DPR shows that very clearly. Just say'in.

More important than all this is, that if people like what they see coming from their gear and RAW processor - rational or irrational, who cares? People should use whatever gear and processing that makes them happy and that they are comfortable with. If its their camera's JPG images - great for them. Just let go of the idea of "special this" and "special that" colors. Every JPG out there is overblown left right and centre anyway.

Color fidelity and DR etc. does matter for some people of course. But that's about using proper color correction in your workflow so you get the best out of your sensor. When you do that the difference between various camera/lens colors are near zero.

"Tested by the Northrup's" — and what a joke that was.  They didn't test color.  Their "test" was useless as the cameras were set to auto white balance.  They actually tested auto white balance.  But they misrepresented this as a "color science" test -- which it certainly wasn't.

Their video just confirmed that people generally prefer warmer auto white balance.  That's all!

For whatever reason, their Sony tended to shoot warmer than their Canon.  Was one set to preserve ambiance and the other not? Who knows!  They don't reveal their settings, so it's anybody's guess as to why.  The bottom line is that whichever camera shoots warmer wins for "more pleasing".  That's generally true, no matter which cameras one uses.

Yake's gear list:Yake's gear list
Sony a7 III Canon EOS RP
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
(unknown member)
MOD Mako2011
(unknown member)
MOD Mako2011
(unknown member)
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow