Photographers vs. Audiophiles (Part 2): Audio Woo

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 54,712
Re: Photographers vs. Audiophiles (Part 2): Audio Woo

mpix345 wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

tbcass wrote:

While what you are saying might be true it would be interesting to see if the effect is audible by running double blind tests.

I kind of accidently did that in college. I replaced my 12 gauge monster Cable with the Kimber Kable while my roommate was in class. He had no idea I was even thinking about doing that. He walked in later and within a few seconds of walking in he said, "what did you do to the stereo"?

I'm not defending Monster, as I think they made a fortune hawking low-grade cables to the unsuspecting masses, but I have to think that if your roommate had that reaction after seconds of casual listening it likely means that the Monster cables were not connected properly or they were defective.

Doubt it.  I used plated pins connected to screw terminals, which is a very positive connection.  I still have the cables and they are still fine.  Junk, but fine.

I've compared Kimber and other similarly priced cables to more expensive stuff and to cheapest Radio Shack options and honestly couldn't tell the difference.

Well, I could - easily - and so could my roommate.  We listened a lot (like 16 hours a day) and the cables were like turning up the treble knob.

Remember, long runs combined with low impedance speakers exacerbates the problems with skin effect.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow