Details, DP2M and Pixel-Peeping ...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Macrae Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: Details, DP2M and Pixel-Peeping ...

HI Ted,

This is a very interesting exercise. I actually love this kind of thing because it has helps me make decisions regarding resolution dimensions in my printing so that I achieve the look/print I am after.

I must admit that I am a low resolution photographer. That is I have not (for my own work) been able to create more descriptive prints with higher pixel count sensors. I know this sounds a bit mad, but it is true.

In your virtual example, you equate detail with individual pixels. But a pixel (colour and luminosity) is not detail. It is a building block of detail. Like an atom to a molecule. It is only when group of pixels reach a certain quality is readable "detail" formed.

Think about this. Imagine you are standing in a great hall where the floor is constructed of long strips of boards that run the length of the room. The boards have normal variegation, and their colour varies as you would expect. When you look down at your feet, it is easy to differentiate the separate boards. But as they extend away from where you are standing, it becomes increasingly difficult to visually separate one board from another until it is impossible.

If your position remains unchanged what would have to happen to the distant boards in order for them to be perceived? They would have to be enlarged and contrast added so that the minimum visual threshold for tonal separation was reached.

Below is a crop from a 24x36 inch print sized at 90 PPI made from alternating black and white pixels. It is a fascinating thing to look at and to print especially when one keeps in mind that these are black (0) and white (255) pixels. Imagine, like the floor example above if these pixels were variations of gray not unlike what we find in nature. What would happen if they were smaller (higher resolution)? The question of how "good" is the detail in your mesh relies on so many things. The one thing it most relies on is viewing conditions. This is why my inkjet prints cannot be optimized for two different viewing distances.

black and white pixel checkboard. crop from  24x36 inch at 90PPI.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow