It's July 2019. Too close to the next release cycle to buy a Canon camera?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
KariP
KariP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,154
Re: It's July 2019. Are the next new models really better...

Julia Schott wrote:

Have my eye on both the 5DSR and the 1DX II.

Both, though, have been out, what, a few years?

What's the likely release cycle on these things? I'd hate to purchase one and see a successor released next month or two.

Anyone in a similar boat? What are your thoughts?

I'm not really an engineer and I cannot make real prophecies ...

Cameras get new "gadgets" - especially in the video department. If you are a photographer and have no interest in video the new cameras are not getting better really fast.

If you want a camera with EVF there are new models coming. IF OVF works better for you the existing  cameras are already quite good .

I bought a 5DMkIV some months ago knowing, that it is more than 3 years old model - but I knew what it IS. Very good camera for my needs !

We do not know how much better the new models will be. 6D was a nice camera - MkII did not give better image quality, but better video and other useful stuff. 6DMkII never became very popular.... I had a 6D and never bought the Mk II. Now it is cheap...

And there are still many features I cannot even use in my new 5DMkIV... a lot to learn still.

-- hide signature --

Kari
I started SLR photography in 1968, first DSLR was Canon 40D in 2007. Now Fujifilm X-E3 is my favourite traveling camera - also NEW! 5DMkIV for landscapes, BIF/nature .

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-E3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow