Photographers vs. Audiophiles (Part 2): Audio Woo

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 54,691
Re: References on "skin effect," speaker wires, 12 gauge is not always 12

Donald B wrote:

Don_Campbell wrote:

I welcome Lee Jay's comments. They presented me with a learning opportunity I wasn't expecting. In looking for more information I found an interesting audio site that goes into the issue of skin effect and about issues concerning 12 gauge speaker wires:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/technical-article-does-audio-cable-skin-effect-matter.7157/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/when-12-gauge-wire-is-not-12-gauge.3/

The second link is about tests of various commercially available, alleged 12 gauge wires that demonstrate that a lot of what is sold as 12 gauge copper wire is not. So, what folks conclude about 12 gauge wire will be subject to just what they actually used.

Google searches on "skin effect speaker wires" will get you more and less about the issue. There's a fairly large interest in deciding but also arguments about the conclusions.

I will start with a summary: skin effect has a relatively significant effect on resistance at higher audio frequencies in dual conductor 12 gauge speaker wire. However, some obviously advanced analog signal engineers argue that a relatively large effect in resistance at higher audio frequencies is a small absolute effect on the already quite low resistance of 12 gauge wire. This small absolute effect has a small effect on speaker signals over modest distances of wire and with respect to the larger impedance of the speakers.

I

but dos'nt higher frequency allow for higher watts to be carried on thinner wire ?

Other way around.  Higher frequencies see the higher effective resistance of the transmission line's impedance and are thus attenuated.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow