Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 54,712
Re: Photographers vs. Audiophiles (Part 2): Audio Woo

D Cox wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Don_Campbell wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Don_Campbell wrote:

In signalling terms, the signals in audio systems are "low frequency" at their highest frequencies. Low frequency signals are pretty undemanding for transmission through reasonable lengths of electrical cables. The exceptions come with cables with conductors that are too small to be low enough in resistance to drive inefficient speakers from a long distance of cable. For normal speaker systems in a normal livingroom or den, even modest two-conductor "speaker cable" is sufficient.

That's not true. We deal with the skin effect even on 60Hz power lines, and the effect is pretty large

I have no problem thinking that skin effect is significant on 60Hz power lines considering the current carrying capacities required and the distances involved. I have my doubts about the issue in multistranded speaker wire over the the several foot distances in most listening environments.

Well, audio frequencies of interest extend up over 2 orders of magnitude beyond 60Hz, so you don't need as much current density to get skin effect problems compared with power transmission. In my house, because of the layout, I need 20 foot speaker cables, and switching from single strand 12 gauge to 4 strand (x2) braided 16 gauge made a very noticeable difference.

However, it could be subjected to simple measurement under common listening situations with reasonable choices of amps, speakers and wires.

It's not so simple if you don't own a spectrum analyzer.

(see the ACSR cable design for example). Skin effect can be a major driver in power handling component design

Again, high power transmission lines are a different story than the modest signals carried in speaker wire over short distances.

Well, with 4 ohm speakers, instantaneous currents can exceed 10 amps, which is pretty significant in the small wires.

The problem is to find an amplifier that can deliver enough current for these difficult loads.

I suspect that those who can hear differences with speaker cables of differing resistance and inductance are using amplifiers with marginal specifications.

I use two amps because my mains are biamped - one amp for tweeter and midwoof one for the two subs.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow