Tilt-Shift lens worth it?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Ed Rizk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,453
Re: Tilt-Shift lens worth it?

Michael Fryd wrote:

Ed Rizk wrote:

Assume for a moment you decided to never take another photo again, but would remain a Realtor. Let's also assume there are vendors in your area that will provide reasonable photos for $150 per house.

From a business perspective, how much extra would it make sense to spend to upgrade to photos of the same quality as what you have been shooting?

Does it make financial sense to spend an extra $100? How about an extra $500? Is an extra $1,000 unreasonable?

I think everyone agrees that better photos are a plus. I think everyone here agrees that if better photos cost an extra $1, then it's worth the money. I think everyone here would agree that if the better photos cost $50,000 then they probably doesn't make financial sense.

The question is what is the actual ballpark value to the Realtor? That's an important piece of information for a photographer targeting that market. If a tilt-shift lens isn't going to get the photographer more business, faster workflow, or higher pricing then it may not be worth the investment.

That is a valid question. It costs me less time than it does the photographer, because I have to go there anyway. Shooting and precessing time used to be a lot when I started, but now I generally shoot a property in less than 30 minutes and process it in about the same time. Some places are very simple and take 10 minutes. Once in a while I get some great architecture to work with and take a lot longer because I am enjoying myself.

Some years I beat that $150 an hour figure, and some years I don't.

Having control over the process is valuable. I know better than a non real estate person what I want to include, what I want to emphasize, and what I want to exclude. If I have to direct the photographer, I only save the processing time. I don't really know what I want until I start shooting it. It's not just art. It's documentation. Correct documentation in the most aesthetically pleasing way possible within a reasonable time is my goal.

I would imagine that most Realtors are not excellent photographers. You seem to be both. I would be surprised if you regularly hire someone else to shoot your properties. Therefore you are not a potential client for pro photographers.

That's a high compliment coming from you.  Thanks, Michael.

-- hide signature --

Ed Rizk

Ed Rizk's gear list:Ed Rizk's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow