Tilt-Shift lens worth it?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Michael Fryd
Michael Fryd Forum Pro • Posts: 11,429
Re: Tilt-Shift lens worth it?

Ian L wrote:

Michael Fryd wrote:

Ian L wrote:

...I should be able to sell it on ebay for close to new price since it would basically still be brand new.

I've wondered about this. When you sell a 1 month old lens on eBay it's similar to brand new, but doesn't have any warranty. How close to list price do people actually pay?

The Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Tilt-Shift Lens sells for about $2,149 at B&H . Canon USA sells a refurbished version , with a 1 year warranty for about $1720.

Will people really pay close to $2150 for a 1 month old version on eBay when a refurbished with a factory warranty is about 20% ($429) less?

The warranty doesn't transfer over if you resell the lens???

Correct. In the USA Canon's warranty on a lens only applies to the original purchaser.

You could try to cheat the system by claiming you bought the lens as a gift for the person you sold it to, but that may not work. Furthermore, in order to get warranty service, the person needs the receipt showing the date of purchase.

At the very least, if you use the lens for a month before selling it on eBay, and play the "I bought it as a Gift" game, they only get what's left of your 1 year warranty. They also get whatever of your personal information is shown on your receipt.

If a refurbished lens with a 1 year legitimate factory warranty can be bought from a trusted seller for 20% off the new price, how much do you think you would get on eBay selling to someone who doesn't know you, when the lens has an iffy 10 month warranty?

I don't really know how much you could get for the lens on eBay. That's why I asked. Personally, I wouldn't buy from an unknown seller for more than Canon's refurbished price, but I don't place much trust in eBay.

Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow